[pmwiki-users] newbie: PageNotFound translation

sgp acs322000 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 11:28:51 CST 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> Could someone describe to me the ways in which they are wanting
> to use multiple languages on a single page?  I.e., what sorts of
> features are needed from the existing recipe, and what things do
> you want to do that the recipe currently cannot?  I might be
> able to put something together very quickly.

With the current recipe:

Easy to do
----------------
localized in-page text and title
localized title for pagelists [[ {$FullPage}|+]] works very nicely
userlang selection dialog -- though I've never used it

Not so easy but can be done
localized SideBar menus  - wish: make it easier
localized SideBar Group names for menus - same wish

Can't do - need to
----------------------------
Complex conditionals
Localized info for pagelists, i.e., RSS feed page description is in German when selected userlang is DE,
but same page in English when userlang is EN, etc.

Remarks
The recipe also provides a hierarchy of language defaults, it works automatically and well, so the
highest priority language is used wherever translated strings are available, then the next one, then the
next one, etc.

There's a cookie problem synchronizing the first page with the right language, but a recent proposed fix
on the recipe page seems to have fixed that.

Thanks for looking into this. I use the latest stable release, not a beta. Would you rely on beta features
for a new recipe?  Do you advise that I upgrade to beta right away, before l launch my first PmWiki ?