[pmwiki-users] Cluster recipe

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 13 15:56:06 CST 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 09:04:28AM -1000, Sivakatirswami wrote:
> Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> >I've uploaded a new version of the group-cluster recipe:
> >http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cluster
> >
> >This adds $GroupTitle and $GroupTitlespaced page variables.  For the
> >most part it's the same as the GroupTitle recipe, in that it looks for
> >the (:title :) in various pages, but if it doesn't find those, then it
> >will use the last part of the group name as the group title; so, for
> >something like Kingdom-Animal-Canine, the $GroupTitle will be "Canine".
>
> "Cluster"  Good! avoids all the philosophical machinations
> over what is or is not Hierarchical Groups....and
> the traditional PMwiki URL's have their advantages

Less confusing when it doesn't change the URLs, yes.
Even though it would be prettier if it did.

> Does Cluster include cascading permissions from the
> top group?

I'm not sure what you mean by cascading permissions.  Group attributes?

Cluster works on a "first found" basis.  When searching for GroupHeader,
GroupFooter and GroupAttributes, it first looks in the current group,
and if it finds the desired page in the current group, it stops looking.
If it doesn't find the desired page in the current group, it looks in
the next-highest group, and so on.

So, if we have pages, say, Kingdom.GroupAttributes and
Kingdom-Animal-Canine.GroupAttributes, then when one is in the
Kingdom-Animal-Canine group, it uses
Kingdom-Animal-Canine.GroupAttributes (and DOES NOT look at
Kingdom.GroupAttributes), but if one was in the Kingdom-Animal-Feline
group for example, then it would use the Kingdom.GroupAttributes page.

Is that clearer?

Kathryn Andersen