[pmwiki-users] Nested div markup

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Feb 15 09:52:46 CST 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 04:41:40PM +0100, Jiri Hladůvka / OBUTEX wrote:
> My vote for it.
>
> Patrick R. Michaud napsal(a):
> >    >>xyz<<
> >    Some text
> >    1>>abc<<
> >    A nested div
> >    1>><<
> >    Back to outer div
> >    >><<

> >On the downside, most other things involving "levels" in PmWiki
> >use repetitions of the same character, as in headings (!!, !!!, !!!!),
> >lists (*, **, ***), etc.  So this might be a little inconsistent.
> >

> What about 1!, 2!, ...1*, 2* ...etc.
>
> A line starting with a number is easier to find in the source.

Yes, but sometimes a line starting with a number is really just
a line starting with a number.  Many people would be surprised
if a line starting with "2*3+5" suddenly started being treated as a
second-level bullet list.   :-)

The general principle is that we don't want anything that might
occur in normal text to inadvertently start acting as a radically
different markup.