[pmwiki-users] Rethinking $RecipeInfo (was: Keeping recipes up to date)

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Thu Feb 15 15:15:33 CST 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 01:52:59PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 08:40:39PM +0100, Dominique Faure wrote:
> > From the parsing point of view, I don't see any real difference between:
> >
> >  # RecipeInfo: Name=RandomQuotes Version=2007-02-15
> >
> > and:
> >
> >  $RecipeInfo['RandomQuotes']['Version']='2007-02-15';

Agreed.

And I like the idea of having $RecipeInfo information, because, once
it's more widespread, it can be a convenient way for a recipe to check
whether another recipe is installed -- which could then mean that one
could make recipes which take advantage of features of other recipes in
a more graceful manner.  That is, if RecipeB could check for the
existance of RecipeA, then it could have optional features which use
RecipeA, which will automatically be turned off if RecipeA isn't there,
rather than breaking if RecipeA isn't there.

Kathryn Andersen