[pmwiki-users] https only when passwords are needed?

Lindsay Todd toddr at rpi.edu
Fri Feb 16 13:10:21 CST 2007

Folks:

    I am using pmwiki 2.2.0 beta 31 in a situation where users'
passwords are more precious than data in the wiki itself.  It is highly
desirable to protect these passwords using ssl, ideally without
requiring all communication to pmwiki to use ssl.  (I think I understand
how to force all usage to be in ssl, if I must.)  I'm not sure how PHP
or pmwiki session state information is communicated, but I am not too
worried about session hijacking, as long as this state doesn't last too
long.

    So I've looked at the SwitchToSSLMode recipe, I've tried catching
"login" and "edit" actions, and looked at the resulting page source, as
well as server logs.  What I find that is most URLs are indeed rewritten
to use the https address.  There is one small exception: the URL to
which the form is posted is a relative URL.  So this recipe ends up
encrypting all that I don't need to protect, and leaving in plain text
the one thing I do need encrypted, the password!

    I tried to add a php customization script for Site.AuthForm that
changes the definition of $ScriptUrl to $SecureScriptUrl (a variable I
am using to hold the https path), but it doesn't work.  Looking into the
code (and I'm not a PHP hacker, so I may be missing something obvious),
I don't see any place it would call such customization code anyway.  Of
course, unless I could force this to use an absolute URL for posting the
form, it was doomed to failure anyway.

    Can anyone suggest any other ideas?  Thank you!

/Lindsay

R. Lindsay Todd                      email: toddr at rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer            phone: 518-276-2605
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute     fax:   518-276-2809
Troy, NY 12180-3590                  WWW:   http://www.rpi.edu/~toddr

The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message are
solely those of the author. The message contents have not been
reviewed or approved by Rensselaer.