[pmwiki-users] pagelist template brainstorming

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 19 11:24:03 CST 2007

On the topic of what to call first/each/last, here's part of
a response that I sent to an off-list posting:

> On Feb 18, 2007, at 12:46 AM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > Then an author specifying "fmt=#title" in a pagelist command
> > would automatically get the pages ordered by title unless
> > overridden by an explicit "order=" parameter.
>
> I like this.  I like it BETTER if we can change the order for a set of
> sub-items.  What if you want alphabetical group names, but order=-ctime
> pages within the group?  Is there a way to do that?

Perhaps "(:options order=group,{$$order}:)"?  This would say "order
everything by group, and after that use whatever was given by the
"order=" parameter in the pagelist directive.

But with everything else going on, I totally forgot about (:options:).
So now I'm pretty well convinced that we need to prefix the template
directives, because I think that "(:options:)" is too generic a
directive name.

So now I see the choices as:

Prefixed by "pagelist-":
    (:pagelist-options ... :)
    (:pagelist-first:)
    (:pagelist-each:)
    (:pagelist-last:)
    (:pagelist-first {=$Group}:)
    (:pagelist-last {=$Group}:)
    (:pagelist-nopages:)    or  (:pagelist-empty:)

Prefixed by "pl-":
    (:pl-options ... :)
    (:pl-first:)
    (:pl-each:)
    (:pl-last:)
    (:pl-first {=$Group}:)
    (:pl-last {=$Group}:)
    (:pl-nopages:)    or  (:pl-empty:)

Prefixed by "template-":
    (:template-options ... :)
    (:template-first:)
    (:template-each:)
    (:template-last:)
    (:template-first {=$Group}:)
    (:template-last {=$Group}:)
    (:template-nopages:)    or  (:template-empty:)

And I'm still open for other suggestions.