[pmwiki-users] Limiting Edit to Login with Username only (no password required)

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 11:53:45 CST 2007

You can "Require Author" to restrict wiki editing to username.

You could alternatively follow the approach Hans discussed, where you
have a single site-wide password for editing, but where each user must
provide his Author name.

Ben

On 2/26/07, Philip Yates <phil at philipyates.com> wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1.  For registration, how do you turn off encryption of passwords from a
> login form that stores passwords in .htpasswd (or anywhere else)?
> 2.  How to require, for edit privileges, a Username but not require a
> password?
>
> Why do I care?
>
> I spent the weekend learning about AuthUser and UserAuth, and now I've
> got a login page and registration page that takes a username and a
> password, and no one can edit now with entering a password and a login
> name.  However,  there's no reason to impose a password obligation to
> edit 99% of the wiki.  For those parts of the wiki that need protection,
> I like the password-only access philosphy of pmWiki.  But I want users
> to make posts using their real name, and I want an email address for
> each user.  (For a community wiki, it's important to know who's posting.)
>
> After a user has already registered once, how can I force a user to
> enter a name and an email address, and have a cookie remember the name
> he/she used the last time, without forcing the entry of a password to
> make a simple edit?
>
> The desired effect: User browses page, never having edited or logged in
> before.  He clicks on edit.  He sees a prompt asking for a UserName in
> FirstnameLastname format, and a block for entering an email address
> (twice), as the password.  He enters his name and email address (twice)
> and makes his edit.  Next time he browses and tries to edit, he sees a
> prompt for his UserName only, with a cookie set to enter it for him.
> The system allows him to edit if his UserName is on the list of
> UserNames already registered.  There is some chance that somebody will
> mistakenly enter somebody else's name by mistake, e.g. two people with
> almost the same name, but in a small community wiki, but I don't think
> that is a significant risk.  On the other hand, it's not much trouble to
> enter an email address whenever you want to make an edit.  Anythoughts
> on the tradeoffs here would be appreciated from this novice wiki admin.
>
> Whether or not I turn off the requirement to enter a password for an
> edit, if I'm going to use the user's email address for a password, I'll
> need to see the email address.  How do I turn off the encryption so the
> email address is stored in a readable format?
>
> Any other ideas or suggestions?
>
> --
> Philip Yates
> 515 High St.
> Oregon City, OR 97045
> (503) 570-8000 cell
> (503) 656-1127 home

Ben Wilson
"Words are the only thing which will last forever" --- Churchill