[pmwiki-users] Site Attack?

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 20:26:04 CST 2007

On 2/26/07, Allyen E. Wilson <awilson at allyenwilson.com> wrote:
> My pmWiki site went away! the pmwiki.php file and the wiki.d folder
> are both gone. I did not remove them. Is there a way someone can hack
> my site? It is a little innocuous wiki for communicating with clients
> no real cause to attract some evil doer.
>
> I uploaded a pmwiki.php file and the page comes up but my custom
> sidebar and all client groups are gone.
>
> How do you backup wikis? Dreamweaver never liked syncing my wiki so I
> do not have a backup of the site.

You could use CVS, Subversion or Rsync to keep a local copy.[1] You
could also put a shell script on your web server that would create
either a tarball or zip file. This would use cron to run periodically.
Using tar as an example:

#!/bin/sh
cd /path/to/FarmD
tar cvfjp site-archive.tbz2 wiki.d/ local/ cookbook/ pub/skins/

Then, you need only wget the tarball. From 2004-2006, I ran a lexicon
game[2]. To ensure sharing between the contributers, I used the
tarball approach. One of the other contributers had a cron that pulled
the tarball about five minutes after it archived the site.

[1]: See http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WikiCVSStorage or
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/TwoWayMirroringWithRsync. Subversion
would work fundamentally the same as CVS, but naturally with different
commands.