[pmwiki-users] Default group with authentication

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Wed Feb 28 17:58:51 CST 2007

I'm new to pmwiki, so apologies if this is a naive question.

I'm considering using pmwiki as a CMS, and have read the recipes about
doing so. One feature I want is for there to be a consistent menu for
all authenticated users, but for the actual page linked to for each
menu item to be unique per group of users. For example, there might be
a 'my page' link for all authenticated users, but the page displayed
will depend on which user is logged in.

I think I can do that with groups, and I also think that I can prevent
users in group X seeing the 'my page' page for group Y - is that
correct?

My real question, however, is can I set up a default group for each
user, so that when I display the menu, I can say "this is user Smith,
who has a default group is X, therefore the destination for the
menu item 'my page' is X/mypage"? Or maybe at authentication I should
make the default group (for user Smith) be X - is that straightforward
to do (and sensible)?

If the above isn't clear, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Thanks,
Keith