[pmwiki-users] detect new SimpleForum messages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 4 16:20:55 CST 2007

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 03:37:02PM -0600, JB wrote:
> >>So now the RSS feed shows new topics, but it will only show
> >>new topics.  If a comment is added to a topic that was already
> >>read it does not show up in the RSS feeder.
> >
> >Did you mean to say here that a comment added to an existing page
> >doesn't show up in the RSS feed or in an RSS reader?  There's
> >a small difference -- a comment added to a topic page should still
> >appear in the RSS feed, but might not appear in some (broken)
> >RSS readers.
> >
> >If it's not appearing in the feed itself, it's likely a bug
> >somewhere.  If it's appearing in the feed but not showing as
> >being updated in a particular newsreader, let's see about
> >providing a workaround for it.
>
> I mean that I add a topic, go to my RSS newreader, refresh the feed
> and the new topic shows up.  Then I read the topic in my RSS newreader
> and it is marked as having been "read".  Then I go to the topic and add
> a new comment to it.  Then I go back to my RSS newreader, refresh the
> feed and nothing new shows up.  The unread topic is still listed, but I
> think it is supposed to say that it is unread (because it changed)
> I know there were changes to it because I just made them.

Yes, this sounds like an issue with the newsreader marking things
as "read" based solely on the url, and not looking at the last
modification time in the feed itself.

So, we need to have an option for feeds.php to generate a different
url for each page based on its last modification time, since the
newsreader apparently isn't smart enough to look at the XML data
in the item itself.