[pmwiki-users] Error on attachments when using $EnableDirectDownload = 0

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 4 16:52:01 CST 2007

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 11:40:56PM +0100, Helge Larsen wrote:
> >Here's how it looks on my server:
> >    http://www.pmichaud.com/sandbox/hello.php
> >
> >Here's how it will look if the webserver is changing the
> >Content-Type header to text/html:
> >    http://www.pmichaud.com/sandbox/hello-1.php
>
> Both of yours does the same (text Hello World on yellow background).

Oh, you're probably using Internet Explorer then, which totally
ignores the Content-Type: header if it thinks the result
is HTML.  (In Firefox, the first link would appear as plain
text on a white background, while the second link appears as
Hello World on a yellow background.)

The problem that you're having on your site isn't related to
Internet Explorer -- I'm just saying that Internet Explorer isn't
useful for debugging this particular issue since it often ignores
the Content-Type: header coming from the server anyway.

> I just found some old php code that generates a gif-image:
> I have placed this code here:
> 	http://www.makoni.dk/testimage.php
> and it does return a gif image.

Okay, that tells me that the problem is somewhere in the PmWiki
configuration somewhere.

So, could you perhaps set up a new installation of PmWiki,
enable uploads, set $EnableDirectDownload = 0, and upload an
image to see what happens with a basic PmWiki install on your
server?  I'm increasingly suspicious of a local customization
or a recipe somewhere causing this problem.