[pmwiki-users] Site not responding

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jan 4 17:09:47 CST 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 07:48:03AM +0900, Shaney Crawford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not 100% sure, but it might have been a problem with the following
> recipe.
>
> totalcounter_1_6.php
>
> I have used totalcounter for a long time, though, and never had
> problems with it, so I am not convinced that it is the real problem.

Out of curiosity -- how big is the .total_counter file in your
wiki.d/ directory?

I'm wondering if it has become too large to load into memory, since
I don't see anything in the TotalCounter recipe that
clears out old entries into the $TotalCounter array.  Thus the
$TotalCounter array just keeps getting larger and larger, until
eventually it takes up too many resources to be able to produce
a page and/or process the .total_counter file.

> Could it be a problem with the beta version of pmwiki?  (That is what
> my hosting company suggested I look into.)

I doubt it's related to the beta version of PmWiki -- that's
what is running on the pmwiki.org site.  It really sounds to me
as though a recipe (in this case, totalcounter) is growing
ever larger and not releasing the resources it's using.

I'm not sure why the site would be slow even after removing
totalcounter from the configuration -- it may be that
there is something else eating up resources (and that cleared
itself off).

I'll be glad to help troubleshoot further.  I really am
curious about the size of the .total_counter file -- if it's
really large, and the recipe really doesn't have a mechanism
for periodically reducing the size of the file, then every
site that is running TotalCounter will eventually run into
this problem (or will experience extremely slow load times
as the TotalCounter recipe has to process the ever-larger
data file).

Pm