[pmwiki-users] Automatically open certain files...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jan 12 07:26:57 CST 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 04:52:45AM -0800, Nicholas Buttle wrote:
> Hi
>
> How do I get the browser to automatically open certain
> documents in their alloted applications
>
> EG.  I want Word to open when the user clicks on an
> attached .doc file...Excel when a click is on an
> attached .xls file....etc etc
>
> I know it's to do with mime types but do I have to set
> something in PM?  In apache .conf file?

If you have $EnableDirectDownload set to 1 (or not set),
then it depends on the Apache configuration.

If $EnableDirectDownload is set to zero, then it's
PmWiki that provides the mime-type.

What happens when someone clicks on a file is also
controlled by the browser configuration... but there's
not much that can be done about that.

If it's not working for you now, try setting
$EnableDirectDownload=0; and see if that changes
anything.  If it works with $EnableDirectDownload
set to zero, then that indicates that Apache isn't
configured to handle the .doc/.xls mime types.