[pmwiki-users] Announce: Slender, pmwiki-based wiki making a fresh start

Andrew Fyfe andrew at neptune-one.net
Thu Jan 18 14:39:53 CST 2007

J. Meijer wrote:

>> On 1/18/07, J. Meijer <commentgg at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> For those with confidence in PmWiki but unhappy with its syntax.
>>> Or those out of breath configuring it.
>>>
>>> Refer to http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/W7/Slender
>>>
>>> A proposal open for discussion.
>>>

>> A *really* more effective way to support your proposition would be to
>> provide us a technical sample/test preview of your "Slender"
>> distribution instead of arguing in the wind...
>>
>> Dom
>>

> Dom, I'll rewrite the page if my tone of voice isn't up to standards.
>
> I don't have any specific code. Share your ideas please, the more the quicker I'll get to the grunt.
>
> This effort is *not* a 'burn PmWiki' effort but most certainly will enhance it in the long run. Just like any other script.
>
> /jm
>

> ps For reference take a look at www.pbwiki.com. AFAIK in less then a year it has outgrown pmwiki in popularity.

Unless I've misunderstood you, what you're saying is you don't like the
current markup used by pmwiki. First to implement your own markup can be
done by setting $EnableStdMarkup = 0 and including your own copy of
scripts/stdmarkup.php, no need to go off and create a new wiki.

As far as the markup goes the syntax for headings, links and lists is
standard across several different wiki implementations, so changing it
shouldn't be done unless you have a VERY good alternative. Wiki markup
is meant  to be practical over pretty.

To make your suggested changes clearer try creating a page similar to
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/BasicEditing showing you suggested syntax.

And I don't see how pbwiki.com has any relation with pmwiki, they offer
hosting for pre-configured wikis.

Andrew