[pmwiki-users] compatibility with Zend Optimizer?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 29 08:52:23 CST 2007

On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 03:34:46PM -0600, Ben Stallings wrote:
> The sysadmin for one of my sites is tweaking the settings on a testing
> server prior to moving the site over to that server.  He's found that
> the site loads properly when Zend Optimizer is turned off, but when it's
> turned on only the template loads: http://69.94.104.197/

I've never heard of anyone having trouble with PmWiki and Zend Optimizer.
PmWiki doesn't do anything "odd" that would present problems to
Zend Optimizer.

On the http://69.94.104.197/ site, there's an error somewhere in
the program that is causing it to (silently) abort just after the
first part of the template is produced.  This could be caused by
a recipe not working in the new host.

Perhaps turn on error reporting, and/or check the error_log .
You might try the following in local/config.php:

    $EnableDiag = 1;
    ini_set('display_errors', '1');
    error_reporting(E_ALL);

> I don't know beans about Zend Optimizer.  Any ideas why this would be
> the case?  Is there a setting I should change on my end to make it work?

I do know that when enabling the Optimizer it's very important to
make sure that the optimizer version being used is the correct one
for the version of PHP being used.  When PHP 4.3.10 came out, lots
of sites (both PmWiki and other PHP-based engines) broke because
PHP v4.3.10 also required an updated version of the optimizer --
a step that many ISPs overlooked or omitted.  So, in addition to
turning on error reporting above, double-check that the optimizer
is correct for the version of PHP.