[pmwiki-users] hierarchical groups possibility

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jan 29 11:40:09 CST 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 06:38:57AM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> The little idea that sparked this renewed interest was how easy it was
> to generate page variables by exploding a group name by hyphens.  One
> line can do
>
> Pets-Care-Groom.Poodle
>
> {$g1} = Pets
> {$g2} = Care
> {$g3} = Groom

Note that we can do the same thing with dots:

    Pets.Care.Groom.Poodle

Early versions of 2.0 even automatically understood "Pets.Care.Groom.Poodle"
as meaning "Poodle" within the "Pets.Care.Groom" group.

> My initial goal is simply to make relative links only able to point to
> sister pages in the same group (exactly as now).  Otherwise absolute
> links would be required (also as now).  The page variables only make
> this somewhat simpler.

Yes, if we limit ourselves to relative links always in the same
group, and absolute links, then there's no difficulty.  I've long
indicated this to be the case.  But then what we have really isn't
"hierarchical groups" -- at least not in the sense that many people
would use the term.

> My guess is in the vast majority of cases, the real need for
> hierarchical groups is being able to make config and css files
> inheritable.

People also want permissions to be inheritable, and the ability
to easily link between pages in separate parts of the hierarchy --
especially from a "higher-level" page to a "lower-level" one
(e.g., a "subpage").