[pmwiki-users] Hierarchical Groups Working

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 29 22:53:52 CST 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 10:47:25PM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> Not too much feedback yet from the list on the hierarchical groups
> script I'm tinkering with, but I'm continuing to make progress just
> the same. I only kind of thought there might be a bit more interest.

I'm interested!  I just put my comment on the site itself...

> Anyway, I have just added a solution for making the sidebars work
> hierarchically, and have it operational at the demo site.  Also, I
> debugged the Link shortcut notation suggested earlier.  There has been
> a request for a slightly different syntax in the comments page...  It
> might even be easier to write.  Let me know what you think.

Would it be possible to make the Link shortcut notation closer to some
of the stuff that's been proposed before?

On Kingdom-Animal-Canine.Main

Kingdom  (grandparent)  [[^.Kingdom.]] or [[...Kingdom.]]
Plant    (uncle)        [[...-Plant.]]
Grass    (cousin)       [[...-Plant-Grass.]]
Animal   (parent)       [[..]]
Wolf     (child)        [[Wolf]]
Feline   (sibling)      [[..-Feline.]]
Cat      (nephew)       [[..-Feline.Cat]]

Though the number of dots might be confusing, true.  Perhaps the ^ for
relative up is better.  Note that I'm using the already-existing "end
the link with a dot to get the home-page for that group" markup.

Kingdom  (grandparent)  [[^^.]] or existing [[Kingdom.]]
Plant    (uncle)        [[^^-Plant.]]
Grass    (cousin)       [[^^-Plant-Grass.]]
Animal   (parent)       [[^]]
Wolf     (child)        [[Wolf]]
Feline   (sibling)      [[^-Feline.]]
Cat      (nephew)       [[^-Feline.Cat]]

Kathryn Andersen