[pmwiki-users] Tricky with unrecognised parameters (Was: NotifyList not working)

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 02:42:41 CDT 2007

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, John Morris wrote:

> Is this the source of my NotifyList not working?

I doubt the following is related to John's problems, but I'd like to offer
a comment (as a user) regarding the notify functinoality.

I wanted to add a notification for a page on the wiki, and mistakenly
thought the syntax would be:

 	notify=christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com page=Mac.Mac squelch=0

The syntax should of course be

 	notify=christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com name=Mac.Mac squelch=0

but I'd just looked at a line with

 	notify=christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com group=Main squelch=0

and was confused.

Anyway, it is difficult debugging this... Nothing happened as I edited
the page Mac.Mac, but what was the problem?

Having looked at it again, I've changed the line to:

 	notify=christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com name=Mac.Mac squelch=0

but I still don't get anything when modifying Mac.Mac...

Are there any better ways of debugging the notify functionality?

How about the following for instance:

Accessing a URI such as:

 	test.org/Site/NotifyList?action=notifydebug

will show a list of who will be notified when this page is modified.
This functionality would only be active if the user has enabled some
special debug setting for Notify, e.g. by doing:

 	$EnableNotifyDebug=1;

This way the user can at least eliminate some of the uncertainty.

Best regards
/Christian