[pmwiki-users] PITS vs. JITS

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Fri Jul 6 02:09:47 CDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 12:52:30AM -0500, Doug Johnson wrote:
> And if you think that either AuthUser or ZAP is a must have, I'd be
> interested in those thoughts also.

I think AuthUser is useful if you're going to have multiple people
interacting on the wiki even if it's an internal wiki.  On our work wiki
I use AuthUser with HtpasswdForm and settings to require author names
and to force the author names to be the same as the logins.

Advantages:
- self-registration makes it easier for both the users and the admin
- having users rather than just passwords makes it possible to give
  one set of users additional or different privileges (such as enabling
  more savvy users to set attributes or delete pages)
- easier to track who did what, since people are forced to use
  consistent IDs
- no need to change sensitive passwords when people leave

Disadvantages:
- plain passwords are simpler if there's only one person creating
  content
- no passwords makes it easier for anyone to edit anything, and okay
  if the site is fully internal

Kathryn Andersen