[pmwiki-users] advanced (I guess) CSS question for bulleted lists

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 08:42:27 CDT 2007

Hi list:

I'd like to be able to specify the amount of indentation for second-level
list items (two asterisks) in my SideBars.

To format first-level un-ordered lists in my sidebar ("NavCell"), I have

#NavCell ul {
    list-style-type: none;
    padding: 0;
    margin: 0;
}

#NavCell li {
    padding-bottom: 3px;
    margin-left: 10px;
    margin-right: 3px;
}

This gives me a nice shallow indentation of the first-level list items.  But
second-level list items are waaaayyy too deep (have far too much margin-left
or padding-left), and I don't know how to specify margins/padding for those.

I found what I believe to be the controlling code in scripts/stdmarkup.php,
but it is nearly opaque to me.  All it says is

## bullet lists
Markup('^*','block','/^(\\*+)\\s?(\\s*)/','<:ul,$1,$0>$2');

Searching the intertubes, I found the site
http://www.simplebits.com/notebook/2003/10/19/styling_nested_lists.html ,
which looks as if it might provide a css-literate reader with a healthy
bunch of clues, but it's just that little bit too far over my head.

Extrapolating from what I found there, I tried

#NavCell li ul {
    font-size: 90%;
}

#NavCell li ul li {
    margin-left: 15px;
    margin-right: 3px;
}

But that made no difference to font-size or indentation.

Anyone care to take a stab at it?