[pmwiki-users] question about trails

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 19 15:20:37 CDT 2007

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 12:23:39PM -0700, Ian MacGregor wrote:
> Imacgregor.HomePage which I use as trail for all my groups. The source for
> this page can be seen with
> http://imacgregor.com/Imacgregor/HomePage?action=source
> I am using this markup in the Imacgregor.HomePage
>
> (:if authid:)
> * [[Admin/HomePage | Administration]]
> (:ifend:)
> Does trail markup ignore (:if authid:) ?

The only time that (:if:) directives are evaluated is when
a page is being displayed (i.e., converted from markup into
HTML).  So, when PmWiki scans a page looking for a trail,
it ignores any directives that may be there and simply looks
for lines that consist of a list marker and a page name.

The same is true for reading page text variables -- there's
not a way to say "set a page text variable only if XYZ condition
is true".  Pages tend to be static except when they're actively
being displayed as markup.