[pmwiki-users] Getting a conceptual grasp.....

Dr Fred C drfredc at verizon.net
Tue Jun 5 17:30:57 CDT 2007

Doug Johnson wrote:
> We all learn in different ways.  I do best if I can read an in-depth
> book or whitepaper that gives the conceptual framework on how
> something works with examples that build on each other.  Then I dive
> into the pieces to get done what I need done.
> Of course, that defies the very nature of wiki-ness.....however.....
> Is there anything like that here?  I have read a lot of the material,
> have two PMwiki sites up and running and expect to lock into this fer
> ever n ever.  I would just like a way to get my head around the whole
> thing and wondered if such a document exists.  I'll get it eventually,
> no matter what, but I know how I learn best.
Nice concept.  You can get a lot of working knowledge to most any level
you want poking around the various documents and php files that come
with the PMWiki package.  As for a general overview for someone who
wants to know it all, the answer is probably two fold --

1. There's no Idiots Hacking guide to PMWiki available -- however, this
list is about as close as one might get to an interactive version of the
Idiots guide for both general and specific questions.
2. The evolution of PMWiki is moving along at a fairly decent pace in
multiple directions.  Documentation tying every thing together in a
totally cohesive fashion is generally lagging, if for no other reason
that things are evolving quite fast in many different directions.   It's
like of asking for a document on everything one might do and has been
done with with a hammer, nail, saw and pile of lumber.

That all said, most PMWiki users (from novices to experts) find enough
documentation and support (on this list) to get what they want do done.
Those with sufficient programming expertise and time are actively
pushing the envelop of what can be done to new horizons to fit their
(and/or their clients) needs.

--

Always, Dr Fred C
drfredc at drfredc.com