[pmwiki-users] Setting DefaultsPasswords via config files

Christian Bartolomaeus bartolin at gmx.de
Fri Jun 8 11:07:34 CDT 2007

Hi,

thanks for your very helpful explanations! I want to ask another
question -- just to be sure I understood correctly.

* On 2007-06-08 Patrick R. Michaud (pmichaud at pobox.com) wrote:
> [...]
> > Let's say I have a group "GroupA" which I want to be read protected
> > with password "foo". That password is given to all readers of GroupA.
> > Since I can't remember all those passwords I use a configuration file
> > local/GroupA.php with:
> >
> >   $DefaultPasswords['read'] = crypt('foo');
>
> This won't work ... read passwords cannot be set in per-group
> customization files.
>
> The reason it won't work is that per-group customization files
> are only loaded for the current page.  So, if $DefaultPasswords['read']
> is set in local/GroupA.php, then someone could use a page in another
> group to view the contents of pages in GroupA.
> [example with (:include:) directive follows]

Ahh, I see. So PmWiki couldn't honor read permissions defined that way
whenever there are references to other groups.

But am I right to assume that "it works" as long as there is just
plain text all over the wiki (no references to content in other pages
except links -- in particular no include directives, no page
variables)? Actually I was using this particular installation of
PmWiki as a kind of CMS (with me being the only author), so I am
pretty sure there is just plain text.

But I understand that it would be better to use ?action=attr.

> The only way to set read passwords on pages is by using ?action=attr .
> I thought this was already mentioned in PmWiki.PasswordsAdmin, but
> I can't see it there now (and it looks like someone has added some
> incorrect information to that page, which I need to correct).

Okay, after reading a bit more I found that information (along with a
description of the processing order) in PmWiki/PerGroupCustomizations.
I should have read more thorough.

I will try to add some of the explanation you gave to
PerGroupCustomizations and PasswordAdmins (maybe in the FAQ section).
You can clean it up if necessary.

Thanks again.

Christian