[pmwiki-users] Problem with utf & i18n (French accented characters)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Jun 9 15:53:49 CDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 09:10:51PM +0200, Petko Yotov wrote:
> > It would be very cool if we could find a good way to seamlessly
> > convert existing iso-8859-1 and other sites to using utf-8
> > (with the option to remain iso-8859-1 for those that want it).
>
> There is the iconv program on most unix platforms that can do this, and also
> the PHP iconv() function.

Lots of PHP installations don't have iconv() available, so we can't rely
on it.

> I also feel (like jdd), that UTF-8 is a good thing, it is the best choice for
> new installations, especially for multilanguage sites, especially now that
> PmWiki has a much better support (AsSpaced, case insensitive search).
> MediaWiki, and DocuWiki, the other most popular php-wikis, are shipped with
> UTF-8 by default.

I'm totally in agreement that UTF-8 would be better, especially for new
sites.  We just need a good migration path for sites that are currently
running with something other than UTF-8, so that someone who upgrades
doesn't find that their site has completely broken.