[pmwiki-users] DataQuery & DataPlates improvements

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Sun Jun 10 23:18:40 CDT 2007

Earlier this evening I posted updates to the DataQuery and DataPlates
recipes, and the demo sites for the two recipes have been updated to
document and demonstrate the new features.  In brief:

* You can now add auto-generated drop-down menus, sets of radio buttons,
and sets of checkboxes to a database query's edit form that list all
available options for the field in question.  This greatly simplifies
the editing of records that involve linked tables, since you don't have
to mess around with each table's ID numbers; and because it doesn't rely
on pagelists, you can put several of these lists on a single page -- and
even inside a pagelist -- without the page timing out.  Since this
feature doesn't rely on ZAP, it's provided in DataQuery rather than
DataPlates.

* DataPlates now automatically generates a search form for each database
query, so that you can search (quickly) for a value inside a specific
field rather than searching (slowly) the full text of the page.  The
search criteria are in addition to any restrictions placed on the query
in its configuration screen, so (for security's sake) searches can only
narrow a query, not expand it.

I still have a few features to add before version 1.0, but the end is in
sight, and I already have two production sites using the software.
Feedback welcome.  --Ben