[pmwiki-users] 2.2.0: SiteAdmin group migration

Dr Fred C drfredc at verizon.net
Fri Jun 15 16:51:06 CDT 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> More in the 2.2.0 finalization sequence.
>
> Based on previous email messages, the PmWiki community seems broadly
> in favor of creating a special "SiteAdmin" group to hold administrative
> pages that should not be visible to the average visitor.  As a result
> of this switch, sites with existing Site.AuthUser, Site.NotifyList,
> Site.Blocklist, and Site.ApprovedUrls pages will need to have those
> pages moved to a new location.
>
> Because these pages are central to PmWiki's authentication system,
> managing that transition in a "safe" manner has proven to be fairly
> tricky.  In fact, it requires a somewhat more involved "upgrade"
> process than what PmWiki has used in the past.

I don't suppose it would be possible to just have a SiteAdmin.adminfiles
file that would be a list of the files that get the special protections
of the SiteAdmin Group.  The default SiteAdmin.adminfiles for a new
installations would point to the SiteAdmin group.  However, older wikis
could choose to migrate admin files to this new group at their leisure,
or leave it as is.

Also, it would seem possible that this sort of procedure might have
applications in the future for other groups that one might want to break
out of the Site Group, or any other group for that matter.

--

Always, Dr Fred C
drfredc at drfredc.com