[pmwiki-users] 2.2.0: SiteAdmin group migration

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Fri Jun 15 17:26:28 CDT 2007

On Friday 15 June 2007, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> In order to not color peoples' first impressions too much, I don't
> want to say much more about it here.  Instead, I hope that people
> will try the demonstration site and give feedback on any problems or
> confusion encountered, and what it might need for a release.

Hello Patrick.

I tested it and it seems to work fine. Observations:

1. If the user clicks on "Return to http://ww..." without performing the
upgrade, he gets the same page. I'd expect it to let me see the site, and do
the upgrade later. So, either this (probably a cookie/session variable and
display the form every two minutes), or remove the link.

2. It is better to have a section: Recommended: upgrade, click here, should be
safe. And the other: Not recommended: proceed to this site, should be safe
too.

3. It may be written in the same upgrade page that to keep using the old pages
and not change anything, one can set

    $SiteAdminGroup = $SiteGroup;

if the user cannot connect to the help page at pmwiki.org (from behind a
firewall or does not wish to read the docs).

4. What is the probability of PmWiki sites running just out of the box, with
the default locked password? They shouldn't have any settings in the pages we
need to move, so can we just consider them upgraded?

Thanks,
Petko