[pmwiki-users] Does this list inhibit development of good documentation?

Mark Trumpold mark at ruthtrumpold.id.au
Thu Mar 8 03:00:37 CST 2007

HI

I haven¹t been following this thread to closely but one thing that occurred
to me after refecting a little on this discussion was ...

I started back in Sept 06, I love Pmwiki and its relative freedom and so on.
At the beginning I couldn¹t make heads or tails of the cook book and what it
all meant. I hadn¹t even done much with wiki technology either.

So all the wiki jargon, recipes, localhost, setting up permissions and all
was so new. Not to mention PHP scripting. I had no idea what I was looking
for or what answer I needed! So HOW would I have known what I  wanted search
for in the documentation or cook book. If you do manage a search then you
may get ten+ pages were the term is located. The time consumption was/would
be huge.

To be able to fire of a quick email for a little help or direction was life
saving and in fact kept me interested and active until I was able to a
understand handle much of it. I was able to persist. Also, the amount of
patient help from people on the list was/is AMAZING which only furthered my
persistence in using pmwiki and not turning away.

The documentation is OK and simple enough to understand but when you start
delving into more complex activities and recipes additions it becomes less
intuitive.

I understand the concerns about this list but it invaluable for beginners
and intermediate users.

>From a HS teachers point of view being able to have this list was a
incredible help and as a result my students are in love with wiki and our
website. I know I am not alone ;-)

Last note, I want to thank everyone who has helped me out that has made our
website a success!!!!!

That's my two bobs worth

Mark

http://www.ruthtrumpold.id.au/itgswiki/pmwiki.php