[pmwiki-users] Edit Template for a group

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 11 18:05:19 CDT 2007

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 10:02:20AM -0700, Dr Fred C wrote:
> IMHO, the problem still remains that the PMwiki solution to the Edit
> Template issue is not wiki like at all, rather it's a programming kludge
> shoe horned into the local config file.  [...] Perhaps it would be
> helpful if the default local/config came predefined with
> "$EditTemplatesFmt = '$Group.Template'; ".

Many admins would also be terribly surprised (and confused)
to see that the edit page comes up non-blank simply because
someone created a page named "Template" in a group.  As it is now,
some admins are confused when someone adds content to GroupHeader
or GroupFooter that appears on every page.

So, I've taken the position that the principle-of-least-surprise
here is that templates are enabled only if explicitly enabled by
the administrator, and then to whatever page(s) the administrator
explicitly specifies.