[pmwiki-users] 2.2.0-beta36 release (pagelist template updates)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 16 09:39:38 CDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 10:06:34AM +0100, Dominique Faure wrote:
> On 3/16/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >I've just released 2.2.0-beta36, which adds some new features
> >to pagelist templates.
> [...]
> >Thus, instead of writing control breaks using (:if:) directives, as in
> >
> >   (:if ! equal {<$Group} {=$Group}:)
> >   Group: {=$Group}
> >   (:if:)
> >   * {=$FullName}
> >
> >one can now write
> >
> >   (:template first {=$Group}:)
> >   Group: {=$Group}
> >   (:template each:)
> >   * {=$FullName}
> >

> Out of curiosity, how does it impact on the pagelist performance: is
> there a significative difference between both solution?

I haven't done any direct measurements yet, but since can cut
out a lot of unnecessary (:if:) markups to the rendering engine,
it should be noticeably faster for long lists.  For example,
the (:template:) directives in the per-group template above reduce
the number of lines of markup to be rendered by about 75%.

> BTW, this could be nice to have the $StopWatch enabled into
> pmwiki.org's Test group.

Good idea -- now done.