[pmwiki-users] Question about wikidir.d

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Mar 17 15:09:19 CDT 2007

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 01:30:16PM -0400, Sandy wrote:
> I'm trying to write a tutorial/walk-through for the "least knowledgeable
> person who can reasonably expect to use the program", and have a local
> installation, version within the last two weeks, fairly default.
>
> When I use AuthUser as follows:
> ---
> $AuthUser['Sandy'] = crypt('xxx');
> $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = 'id:Sandy';
> $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = 'id:*';
> $DefaultPasswords['attr'] = 'id:*';
> $DefaultPasswords['upload'] = 'id:*';
> include_once("$FarmD/scripts/authuser.php");
> $Author = $AuthId;
> ---
>
> and edit the file /wikilib.d/PmWiki/Installation, the file in the
> wikilib.d folder is updated.
> I thought that the files in that wikilib.dir were protected, and a copy
> would be created in wiki.d. That is what happened for Site.SideBar.

By "edit the file /wikilib.d/PmWiki/Installation", do you mean that
you're editing the file directly?  Or did you really mean to say you
were editing the PmWiki.Installation page via ?action=edit ?

Your understanding of how things are supposed to work is correct --
PmWiki doesn't write to files in the wikilib.d/ directory, but
instead creates a new copy of the page in wiki.d/ (and uses that
in preference to the wikilib.d/ page).  So, if PmWiki is modifying
the file in wikilib.d/ somehow, then yes there's something odd
happening here.

> When I delete the AuthUser lines and repeated the experiment, a file was
> created in wiki.d as expected.
>
> Why would the behaviour be different?

I don't know -- it shouldn't be any different.  There must be
something else going on here.  I can set up a test on pmwiki.org
if it would help.