[pmwiki-users] leading spaces switch for 2.2.0 (somewhat important)

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 12:28:33 CDT 2007

On 3/24/07, marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:
> I fail to understand the difficulty
> it seems to cause; I haven't encountered anyone who couldn't deal with
> the syntax once understood - a one sentence, one time thing - no
> different to '' for emphasis, etc.
> <snip>
> Surely, if you don't want the behaviour, then don't add whitespace to
> the start of your lines.

I often create wikis for use by people whom I never have an
opportunity to train.  I provide what training I can to the primary
users, in the amount of time they are willing to give me, working with
whatever level of technical proficiency they may or may not have.
Those trainees then go back to their organizations, or just email the
password to someone else, and the secondary users log on and click
edit (if we're all really lucky).  Whenever the trainees or the
secondary, tertiary, etc users encounter a situation in which the
plain, unadorned text they enter (or paste in) fails to provide the
output they (reasonably, based on their experience with Notepad)
expect, we run the risk of having them declare that wikis are just too
damned hard to for them to be asked to work with.

A simple leading whitespace can be all the difference between
successful adoption and the failure of a new wiki, if it rubs the
wrong person the wrong way.