[pmwiki-users] leading spaces switch for 2.2.0 (somewhat important)

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Mon Mar 26 01:37:52 CDT 2007

Kathryn Andersen said...
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 02:34:52PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 25, 2007 at 10:48:26AM +0100, marc wrote:
> > > Tegan Dowling said...
> > It's even less obvious that something as small as a single leading
> > space is the problem.  When we explain the reason for the long lines
> > to authors, it somewhat makes sense, but at the same time this feels
> > to them like this is a "programmer's feature" and so perhaps the wiki
> > really isn't for them.
>
> I'm wondering if there could be a compromise: rather than having a
> *single* leading space trigger preformatting, there could be a certain
> number of leading spaces required, like four or eight. One or two spaces
> are likely to be accidental, eight spaces, less so.

Two would be okay, imo, three at most, but eight would be far too
cumbersome.

Since spaces seem to be the issue - I think, although I still fail to
see the cause of the problem <Is this another issue caused by Word-
itis?> not the issue as described by Pm - a trivial markup would be
okay, say, ";; " (semicolon, semicolon, space), something that can be
achieved quickly (e.g. a non-shifted, repeated key) and doesn't require
closure. This is still a pain, though, to be honest, for other reasons.

--
Cheers,
Marc