[pmwiki-users] leading spaces switch for 2.2.0 (somewhat important)

The Editor editor at fast.st
Mon Mar 26 10:02:37 CDT 2007

On 3/26/07, Ben Wilson <dausha at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So, I don't know what number of leading spaces would be an appropriate
> > default.  I'd lean to four, but I don't know that setting it at four
> > will significantly reduce the scope of the problem.  (And it may be
> > that a compromise is ultimately more confusing than either extreme.)
>
> This lowers consistency with the markup, which could confuse the same
> authors who would be confused by one leading whitespace.

Agreed.  It's for this reason I'd just as soon not have it enabled at
all by default. If I had the option, I'd probably would not use it
all, or at a minimum set it at something over 5 to avoid conflicts
with paragraph indentions.

> I voted +2 on using specific markup (e.g. [@ @]) because that markup
> falls clearly in the intent of the author: it is pretty rare to
> encounter that markup in normally readable text. The root issue here
> is whether a neophyte or non-tech savvy author will encounter a markup
> condition which is accidental and confuses him as to the cause. By
> having a clear markup (e.g. [@ @]), then we can be fairly certain a
> neophyte author won't accidentally trigger a <pre> block. I guess this
> idea seems to work for me because there is a clear, visual cue
> triggering the block.

> Along with [@ @] indicating <pre></pre>, then [@@ @@] could indicate
> "a little more" than the former.

Agree with this also, and for the exact same reasons.  I still get
confused at times between the difference between [@ @] and [= =].
Generally, plow through by trial and error.

> FWIW, the leading space = <pre> is my least favorite markup rule. :-/

Ditto.

Cheers,
Dan

PS.  I'd still like a markup that converted initial > or >> to
automatic space insertions of multiples of some configurable number.