[pmwiki-users] What files can I safely remove from a pmwiki installation?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Mar 26 16:15:30 CDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 09:32:01PM +0100, Sergio Lopes wrote:
>    Hi,
>    I have started using PMWiki, it is good for my needs, a simple personal
>    site.
>    I would like to know wich files can I delete form the wiki to make it
>    smaller. I know it doesn't take much space but I would like it to take a
>    little less ;). I was to remove the "docs" folder...
>    What about files in the wikilib.d? I have no need for the documentation,

You can safely remove the PmWiki.* files from the wikilib.d/ folder --
this will save a lot of space (approx 804KB).  Be sure to keep any of
the Site.* files there, however.

You can also remove the docs/ folder (48KB).

Together, these two items bring the installed size down to 636KB.
If you want an even smaller footprint:

  - if you're not using the GUIEdit buttons, you can remove the pub/guiedit/
    folder (124KB) and scripts/guiedit.php (3KB)
  - if you're not doing RSS feeds, you can remove scripts/feeds.php (18KB)
  - if you don't need utf-8 support, you can remove xlpage-utf-8.php (14KB)
  - you can remove scripts/transition.php (9KB), scripts/compat1x.php (8KB),
    scripts/authuser.php (7KB), and scripts/notify.php (7KB).

On my system that gets PmWiki down to 436KB.  After that we're removing
really small items:

  - scripts/urlapprove.php (5KB)
  - scripts/mailposts.php (4KB)  # this shouldn't be here anyway
  - scripts/wikiwords.php (2KB)
  - scripts/creole.php (2KB)
  - scripts/httpauth.php (2KB)

With all of the above removed, I end up with 408KB.  Removing anything
else after this is rapidly reaching a point of diminishing returns.  :-)

Hope this helps!