[pmwiki-users] Arabic content - right-to-left display

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 27 10:17:19 CDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 01:37:00PM +0200, St�phane Heckel wrote:
> What should be the settings of a page to host right-to-left
> arabic content ?
> Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm quite interested in supporting right-to-left (RTL) languages.
Unfortunately, I can't read any of them, so I'm not of much help
in terms of debugging things, and I don't know where the pitfalls
will be in getting them to work.

However, at the most basic level one needs to use utf-8, and
to set the CSS 'direction' property to be 'rtl'.  In order to
let people experiment (and point out where things need to be
adjusted), I've set up an "Arabic language" section on pmwiki.org
with the direction:rtl property:

    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiAr
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWikiAr/XLPage

Feel free to try converting pages and phrases to Arabic on those pages.
I'm thinking it's very likely that some things won't work and that we'll
have to tune the core a bit to accommodate rtl languages.  Just remember
that:

  - Since I have no experience with rtl languages, I can't tell if something
    is displayed incorrectly simply by looking at it.

  - It's not enough to say something isn't displaying correctly, I also
    need to know how it _should_ be displayed.  Ideally this could be done
    by pointing to an HTML document that _does_ display correctly, so that
    I can then work on adjusting PmWiki to match.