[pmwiki-users] Drafts, moderated wikis, and PITS 00755

Scott Connard connard at dsg-inc.com
Sat Mar 31 15:54:51 CDT 2007

On Mar 31, 2007, at 4:27 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> I've now implemented the new drafts handling code in the 'Test'
> group on pmwiki.org -- feel free to try it there:
>
>     http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Sandbox
>
> When drafts are enabled, the edit form has the following buttons
>
>     [Publish]  [Save draft]  [Save draft and edit]  [Preview]
> [Cancel]
>
> The "Publish" button always saves to the page without a -Draft suffix.
> The "Save draft" and "Save draft and edit" buttons always save to a
> page with the -Draft suffix.
>
> We also introduce a 'publish' authorization level, which if not
> set falls back to using whatever 'edit' restrictions may be in place.
>
> If an author has permission to edit but not to publish, the [Publish]
> button will appear disabled in the form.  (To see how this works,
> set a 'publish' password on a page in pmwiki.org's Test group and then
> edit it.  The ?action=attr password for the Test group is "quick".)
>
> Please feel free to experiment with the new draft implementation and
> provide comments.  This will likely appear in the next beta release.

Patrick - I like it!

The history seems to work great - keeping draft changes in addition
to the final publish change.

So I started to torture test it a bit.  When no draft document
existed, I manually created a draft document Sandbox-Draft, which it
let me do.  I had cleared the publish password at that point, so I
was allowed to Publish, which I did.  I mostly expected to Save the
page I was creating (Test.Sandbox-Draft) but of course PmWiki was
running with EnableDrafts and I hit Publish, so it published it as
Test.Sandbox.  OK, I didn't expect it, but I understand it.  However,
I then checked the history and discovered that the prior history for
Test.Sandbox was lost (Neil's edits and my earlier edits) and only my
creation of Sandbox-Draft was visible.  (It showed Neil and my

This was VERY unexpected.  I was able to restore the page to have
Neil and my edits, but the History was wiped.

I'm not necessarily complaining, because it WAS a torture test, but
you'll have to decide if it's worth worrying about.

Scott Connard.