[pmwiki-users] FW: FW: Installation Question: How to point web server topmwiki.php script on the server?

Peter K.H. Gragert p.k.h.gragert at skyaccess.nl
Sun May 6 23:37:25 CDT 2007

[Peter K.H. Gragert]
Please tell us your website address: www.????.??? Than we can help easier!
You said that pmwiki.php is in the top-level directory, let us indicate it
as /
So you should have this structure on your server:
/pmwiki.php (and you should type in your browser's addressfield
    http://whereyourwebsitelives/pmwiki.php to activate your wiki!)
    whereyourwebsitelives ist NATURALLY something like www.google.com not
    Google but yours! See above!)
/local/config.php
/doc/sample-config.php (so this file you renamed and copied it to / but it
       must be in /local !!!!)
/wikilib.d/.... ( a lot of files)
/wiki.d/... (will be created if you create new pages in your wiki!)
/pub/... (here scripts and the skins etc. are living)
... (not interesting at this moment)

> > This file is the heart for an administrator!
> > So download it and edit it with an ASCII editor (wordpad, vi, or ...)
> > Read the comments and remove the #'s , which make a LINE to comment (in
> > PHP).
> > You should at least change the files
> > $ScriptUrl = 'http://localhost/pmwikis/55plus_070503/pmwiki.php';
> > $PubDirUrl = 'http://localhost/pmwikis/55plus_070503/pub';

[Peter K.H. Gragert]
Look above!

> > This is for my local tests, so you have to replace localhost/pmwikis
> (see
> > YOUR config.php to understand by comparing!) to your website and
> > place=directory, where pmwiki.php lives!

[Peter K.H. Gragert] Please do the comparison!

> > Important are too such lines as
> >
> > $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('replacemebyyourpassword!');
> > $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('passwordforediting');
> >
> > To undestand this , read the security info of the wiki!
> >
> > This line I love too:
> > $EnablePathInfo = 1;
> > This changes something like http://..../pmwiki.php?n=Main.Homepage
> > Into http://..../pmwiki.php/Main/Homepage
> >
> > This should make you going!
> > Bye

> Thank you for your reply, I am still having a couple of problems, even tho
> have managed to move a snails pace further...:)
> I really am not a techie person and my knowledge is very basic, so this
> stuff
> always takes me a really long time. Thank you for your time.
>
> -I renamed the file:"sample-config.php" to "config.php" and took it out of
> the
> doc directory.  Do I bring it up to the root directory, (i.e. place the
> config
> right next to my "pmwiki" file?  Or do I put it within the "pmwiki" file,
> next
> to the "cookbook, docs, local, pub" etc. files?

[Peter K.H. Gragert]
Only uncomment (for this moment) the indicated lines to start!
Indeed as Neil said in an other post, uncomment only what you understand,
but those I indicated are more or less necessary to get you going.

> -And then I went (uncommented out too)to the
> $ScriptUrl &
> $PubDirUrl sections
>
> for $ScriptUrl:
> tried: http://www.mydomain.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php  (didn't work)
> tried: 'http://www.mydomain.com/pmwiki/55plus_070503/pmwiki.php'

[Peter K.H. Gragert]
See above. Give us the address of your web server or trying an example
Suppose your website lives at http://www.karina.com
then those lines should become:
$ScriptUrl = 'http://www.karina.com/pmwiki.php';
$PubDirUrl = 'http://www.karina.com/pub';
OK?

> same with the $PubDirURL, still no luck.
>
> Do you know what I am doing wrong.  I wish I was a bit more savvy at these
> things so I didn't have to ask such basic questions.  I apologize.
>
> Best
> Karina
> p.s. (do I uncomment all the single "#" lines? as well?  Or just some of
> them?)
>
> Also, I got a message I was top posting...How do I bottom post?  APOLOGIES
> for
> all the questions.
> Thanks
> Karina

[Peter K.H. Gragert]
By the way Lines in config.php with ## in front of a line are meant as
comment, meaning do not remove ever ;-)
These lines document a line with only one # at the beginning

Greetings
        PKHG