[pmwiki-users] Slashdotting?

Daniel dso at moosoft.com
Mon May 14 09:30:29 CDT 2007

Use something like http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/
to calculate the size of the page.  Slashdot can generate thousands and
thousands of hits.  So say you have a 10K total web page size including
images.  10,240 * 100,000 (just a guess) = 1,024,000,000 so that is
about 1GB of traffic.  You have 3 MB so your server will die.

At that size you could take at most about 300 hits at once.  So to
defeat the slashdot effect you need a seriously small page with no
graphics.  I would try to keep it under 1K if that is possible.

The other side is the server hardware.  Much harder to predict how it
will do under load.  Make sure you have the pages caching (default).
Page compression makes the pages smaller but increases the load on the
server.  I would guess that the server is not beefy enough to handle a
slashdotting.

Daniel