[pmwiki-users] pagelist pagination

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 16 14:09:56 CDT 2007

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:18:12AM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> > So, because it's possible to use (:if:) directives
> > to suppress the display of certain pages in the
> > list, we don't know exactly how many pages are displayed,
> > nor are we certain of the exact "count" to use for
> > the next block of pages.
>
> While it would be less efficient a simple solution
> might be to limit the count during the template
> processing instead by simply not counting any
> iterations that don't produce any output,

PmWiki doesn't run the markup engine on each iteration --
it concatenates all of the iterations together into
a single markup string, and then runs the markup engine on
the concatenated result.  Thus, we can't know which
iterations generate output.

The problem becomes even worse if we do "inline pagelists",
where the markup is inserted directly into the surrounding
page as opposed to being converted into HTML inside of the
(:pagelist:) command itself [1].  In that case we *definitely*
don't know the result of any conditionals within iterations
before the overall page has been processed.

[1]  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/40660/focus=40704