[pmwiki-users] "Official" release of UserAuth2 recipe

The Editor editor at fast.st
Thu May 17 16:21:05 CDT 2007

On 5/17/07, Jason Frisvold <xenophage0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/17/07, The Editor <editor at fast.st> wrote:
> > I'd find it helpful to know what advantages UserAuth2 offers over
> > AuthUser. It would seem finding a way to add those in to AuthUser
> > would be a preferable path. At least it's what I've tried to do with
> > the MemberMgmt recipe and ZAP's authentication scheme--which tries to
> > tie into and expands AuthUser's capabilities.  But then again, if
> > there are various UserAuth2 features not possible in AuthUser, that's
> > a different story.
>
> I'd *love* to see group authentication..  I don;t believe that exists
> today.  Specifically, given a username and password, the
> authentication scheme should load a list of the groups the user is in
> and act accordingly..

ZAP does that exactly, and more... See the MemberMgmt recipe. Read the
section on memberships esp.

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MemberMgmt

> I don't mind which authentication plugin has this, tho obviously
> AuthUser would be the simplest..

ZAP is built right onto AuthUser, so you can assign a member to a
group (or allow them to pick their own groups) then when they login
(they must use ZAP's login form) settings like @ChessClub for a read
or edit passwd (on page attributes) goes immediately into effect.
Standard PmWiki from that point on.

> If this was added recently and I'm not aware of it, feel free to jump
> up and down and toss the Fine manual at me...

Let me know if you are interested in tinkering with this. I don't
quite have all the docs up of the slew of new features I've added
lately. Like MailMerge for members and email group to send stuff to
all the members of a group, etc. But I gotta do it eventually so ask
away, and I'll put stuff up as people need it.

Of course, I'm still very interested in UserAuth2, so I'm still
looking forward to a summary of what it can to that AuthUser can't.

Cheers,
Dan