[pmwiki-users] meaning of "=protectsafe" (was: (:pagelist:) broken ...)

ThomasP pmwikidev at sigproc.de
Sun May 20 10:23:56 CDT 2007

On Sun, May 20, 2007 16:10, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2007 at 04:00:07PM +0200, ThomasP wrote:
>> Ok, I can see now: it is an optimization for not having to look up for
>> every single user whether the page is read-allowed for him/her, but
>> rather
>> to decide by the once determined feature that no read password is set.
>
> Exactly.
>
>> I will set $page['=passwd']['read'] to "1" whenever the page may not be
>> read by the GuestUser group.

(I):
> This works.  Another approach might be to simply set
> $page['=passwd']['read']
> to '1' for all accesses.  This would then inform pagelist (and other
> functions that have a need to check read permission) that there may be
> some read protection on the page.

(II):
> Another approach I could use is that pagelist and other functions assume
> that a page has a password unless $page['=passwd']['read'] is explicitly
> set to an empty string.  Then authorization functions that don't set
> $page['=passwd']['read'] will still work properly (but perhaps reduce
> the amount of caching that gets performed).
>
> Pm

I think (II) makes sense if you also know a solution for
$page['=auth']['read']. Then really all auth modules will automatically
work. (Besides of UA2 I know of UserAuth and AuthPhpBB2(?) only.)

Alternative (I) would be easy for me, but would leave at least
UserAuth-run wikis behind.

Up to you.

Thomas