[pmwiki-users] Acme software closing down...

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun May 20 21:05:17 CDT 2007

Due to surprizing success in my attempts to develop an experimental
wiki engine, the glory days of the Acme software enterprise appears to
be numbered (at least the PmWiki division). I still intend to continue
participating in the PmWiki community, but at a reduced level--as I am
switching everything over to ZAPwiki.

I've removed the Acme recipe page, and dropped my name from the
following recipes as maintainer:

Hg
TablesPlus
MarkupExpressionsExtensions
SectionList
MemberMgmt

If anyone has a burden to develop any of these further please let me
know. I had things in mind I'd hoped to add or fix for some of these,
and would be happy to let someone else take on those projects. If not,
I will try to keep an eye on them, and perhaps offer a fix or tweak as
I'm able. But I won't be able to provide support at the level I have
been.

Also, if someone has a burden to take over ZAP I'd be willing to
consider that also, though I would like to ride it through until
PmWiki comes out of beta and offer a finished, final product back to
the community that has taught me so much. ZAP is very powerful and has
many capabilitties. I'd want to make sure the right person inherited
it.

Of course like other Acme recipes, ZAPwiki may blow up in my face--and
I'd be right back with PmWiki again--the best software out there. But
then again, ZAPwiki is a whole different beast. Essentially, all
actions are ZAP forms--meaning you build your wiki engine in the
wiki--however you want.  It's a radical paradigm, but from everything
I've seen so far, it makes things easier, smaller, faster, more
flexible, and extremely powerful. It's a bit of a minimalist kind of
wiki, and not for everyone, but I've been amazed at what it can do in
about 65K. And I really want to be putting my efforts there.

Anyway, let me know if anyone is interested in picking up an old Acme
recipe or two, or even perhaps ZAP itself... Thanks again to everyone.

Cheers,
Dan