[pmwiki-users] Site.* permissions

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Wed May 30 12:02:08 CDT 2007

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> In fact, this brings up a larger question of what to do with the
> Site.* group in general... should we change the PmWiki default so that
> viewing pages in the Site group is restricted to admins?  There
> are three options that I see:
>
> Option 3:  Introduce a new SiteAdmin group that contains pages
> specifically intended for the site administrator.  This group could
> have a read password that limits viewing to the admin by default, and
> the pages listed in option 2 would move to this new group.
>
> The downside of this approach is that it complicates upgrading a bit
> in terms of moving existing Site.* pages to the new Site group, as
> well as introducing a new group to the distribution.

I vote for 3, for reasons already expressed by others. No more listing
which pages to unlock/lock, just say "the entire group". Most of the
teething pains would be undoing existing work-arounds.

Quick bit of brainstorming.

Create two new groups rather than one new and one existing. Add checking
code so page cannot exist in both. Old Site Group keeps existing
permissions, and admins will be able to move pages out one at a time.

If Site/ is called (say from an older skin or a sidebar or an included
recipe), first check both new groups, then revert to Site group.

Tool to check each page for old-usage would be fairly easy, but what
about skins and included recipes? Thinking ugh.

Cheers!

Sandy