[pmwiki-users] reposting re registering, etc.

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Wed May 30 06:49:16 CDT 2007

Marguerite Floyd wrote:
> I'm reposting in case this got lost in the shuffle.  Am I asking too
> much of pmwiki?  Or do I just not know where to look?
>
> Or should I just chuck it in and use one password for everyone and
> quit worrying myself to death about it?  Then worry about spam or
> nasty postings if/when they happen . . .
>
> PS: You folks are great; I'm almost starting to understand what's going on. ;-)
>
> Here's what I posted last night:
> "1. I would like anyone at all to read/view the site.
>
> 2. I would like anyone who wants to edit content, put stuff on the
> calendar, or make a comment about content to register.  And while
> they're registering to click a box/button saying they've read the
> disclaimer.
>
> 3. I would then like a handful of people to be "editors," who have the
> authority to clean up content if necessary, remove inaccurate stuff,
> add important stuff.  These would be the same as, I guess, moderators.
>  Using Authuser I can just add those folks' names and passwords.
>
> But how do I deal with the folks in #2?
>
> Sorry I'm getting myself so confused and, thus, confusing y'all."
>
> www.belovedparrot.com

I think the others have answered most of your questions, but one more
thing to add.

You can assign different access levels to individual pages, and to
groups of pages. Very versatile, if a bit of a learning curve.

Check out
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Passwords

If you're using AuthUser, you can put id:name or @usergroup in addition
to the password.

As for posting content vs editing existing content, wikis don't separate
the two.

However, in the spirit of trying to get PmWiki to do everything (usually
a successful endeavor, I might add), several have written Forum recipes.
I like CommentBoxPlus, but I'm not sure if it's kept up with the recent
core changes. Some of the others have security issues; it's rather a
complex programming task, Pm has spent months working through the ins
and outs.

Personally, I'd go with your option 1.

Many sites put their password on their login form; spam robots don't
read too well. Or you can be more complex and say "take only the letters
from this sequence". I'd use a different password for the Site-group
pages (see other discussion about splitting that group), so folks can't
experiment with the sidebar and such.

You can also use the Notify recipe (or its successor) to email you when
a change is made, so you can catch things before they get too bad.

Pmwiki.org is open for all to edit, and the spam seems fairly minimal.
(Or it gets caught before I see it.) There's a single password, 'quick',
that's well-publicized in this group. Pm uses one of the blocklist
programs to catch most of the spam. There are more details written about
it somewhere.

Cheers!

Sandy