[pmwiki-users] Urgent -- Memory size exausted - line 660

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 31 08:15:38 CDT 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 11:58:38AM +0200, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> As I try to save a specific page I get this error:
> Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 12582912 bytes exhausted (tried to
> allocate 53 bytes) in
> /web/htdocs/www.fl4u6rpx37tz.net/home/xyz/pmwiki.php on line 660

What version of PmWiki?

> Nevertheless such an error makes me rather (much) unquiet, for it is a
> site we use at work.
>
> Could it be that the page history is too long?

Definitely.

The options here would be to reduce the size of the page history
(use the ExpireDiff recipe or set $DiffKeepDays to a smaller value),
or try to increase the amount of memory available to PHP scripts
via the memory_limit parameter.  You might try the following
at the beginning of config.php:

    ## set memory limit to 32MB
    ini_set('memory_limit', 33554432);

You can see how much memory PHP has available by setting $EnableDiag=1;
and using ?action=phpinfo.  Look for the "memory_limit" parameter.

If the ini_set() approach doesn't work, you might also try setting
it in a .htaccess file:

    php_value memory_limit "32M"

It's possible that the system administrator has set the memory_limit
such that it cannot be changed in .htaccess or ini_set(); if so,
you might see if the system administrator can increase the memory
available to PHP scripts.  By way of reference, the default memory
limit for PHP prior to 5.2.0 was 8 megabytes, but starting with
5.2.1 it defaults to 128 megabytes.

Hope this helps,