[pmwiki-users] Basics

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 31 08:57:09 CDT 2007

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 12:26:13AM -0500, Marcin Jakubowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed PMWiki on a free shell account, freeshells.ch/~ose.
>
> When I try to edit, I am informed about incorrect file write
> permissions. First, where do I put the wiki.d directory? I am putting
> it in the
>
> /home/ose/public_html/pmwiki-2.1.27
>
> directory.

Yes, it should be /home/ose/public_html/pmwiki-2.1.27/wiki.d, with 777
permissions.

> Then I type
>
> -bash-2.05b$ chmod 777 wiki.d
>
> and that appears to be accepted.

This is the correct command (i.e., no leading slash).

> Then I go to http://freeshells.ch/~ose/pmwiki-2.1.27/pmwiki.php?n=PmWiki.BasicEditing?action=edit
>
> and I am not able to edit:
>
> "PmWiki can't process your request
>
> PmWiki needs to have a writable wiki.d/ directory before it can
> continue. You can create the directory manually by executing the
> following commands on your server:
>
>     mkdir /wiki.d
>     chmod 777 /wiki.d
> Then, reload this page.
> We are sorry for any inconvenience."

Yes, PmWiki is reporting the wrong directory name here, ignore
the leading slashes.  I need to fix that message.

Double-check that the wiki.d directory has 777 permissions on it.
If you execute the command:

    ls -ld wiki.d

you should see something like:

    drwxrwxrwx  2 ose ose 323584 May 31 08:45 wiki.d