[pmwiki-users] Defaulting PmWiki to utf8

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Nov 14 13:19:45 CST 2007

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 02:17:03PM -0500, The Editor wrote:
>    On Nov 14, 2007 11:36 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>      However, that's no longer the case, and PmWiki now has very good
>      support for utf8.  So, there has been off-and-on discussion that
>      perhaps PmWiki should be configured for utf8 by default, with
>      iso-8859-1 as a language option for sites that want to use it.
>
>    I'm curious Pm whether this will affect the minimum php requirements for
>    PmWiki. For instance, is this UTF support available in earlier versions of
>    PHP 4.0, or will we now have to have a 5.0 server?

PHP 4 should work fine with utf-8.  I still target 4.1.0 as the
minimum requirement, but it probably makes sense to increase the
minimum requirement to 4.3.0.

>    I'm also curious about
>    the various recipes that use php functions that do not work properly in
>    UTF. Perhaps you could review the implications of these changes for us in
>    these two areas.

As far as I know there aren't any recipes that don't function in utf8.
Even though it's just an option, there are a lot of PmWiki sites that
run using utf8 already and if there were any recipe problems I think
we'd have heard about them by now.