[pmwiki-users] Defaulting PmWiki to utf8

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Nov 14 17:16:41 CST 2007

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 05:11:51PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 11:28:50PM +0100, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
> > > So, what I'm seeing at the moment is that if we switch to using
> > > utf8 by default, admins of existing sites have to be notified
> > > somehow that the default has changed and told how to configure
> > > the site to continue using iso-8859-1, or given a procedure to
> > > somehow convert the site's pages to utf8.  And once someone
> > > starts the utf8 conversion, it can get a bit messy to try to
> > > convert back.
> >
> > Yes, I think that a big red label should be in the upgrade
> > instructions, with pointer to a recipe or something that explains how
> > to convert page text. I don't know about page names, though... :-/
>
> [...]
> As I mentioned, the steps of the actual conversion aren't all
> that difficult -- PHP provides utf8encode and utf8decode functions
> that automatically convert between iso-8859-1 and utf-8.
> The hard part is knowing _when_ a conversion is needed, and when
> things should be left alone.

Actually, as I'm thinking about it, I _might_ be able to
reconfigure PageStore to be able to handle the conversions
automatically and transparently, on the fly.  That could be
interesting.  But it would definitely be a case of "once you've
started saving pages in utf8, you're fairly well committed to
using that or later versions of PmWiki to be able to access
and view those pages."

I may set up a test system on pmwiki.org and see what I come up
with.