[pmwiki-users] Defaulting PmWiki to utf8

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Nov 17 08:53:11 CST 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 11:59:05PM +0100, ml wrote:
> I would add a BOM header to the files. That way pages can be converted
> on the fly.
> (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_Order_Mark)
> For filenames, urlencode() / urldecode() may be used. urldecode should
> work for both, urlencoded and not-encoded filenames.

The problem is figuring out what to do with the thousands of
existing pages that don't already have a marker of some sort
in them, or that already exist with filenames in a different
encoding.

Making this work for all new sites is easy -- migrating existing
sites to a new standard is the hard part.

Thanks,